Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Welcome to Bill's Triple-D Restaurant Review

I’m an unabashed fan of Guy Fieri and his Diners Drive-Ins and Dives show on the Food Network. I’m so much of a fan that I created a GPS database to load onto my GPS so that wherever I am in the country, I can just pull up the nearest restaurants that Guy has visited and choose from them. I’ve visited several of them already; enough to start a blog about them and share my experiences.

I spent a couple of weeks finding the lattitude/longitude coordinates for all of the restaurants that they had visited on the show through about July 2010 and put them into a waypoint database that can be easily uploaded from a home computer to the GPS using Garmin’s Point of Interest (POI) program that is available for free from Garmin. I plan on converting this for use on other GPS brands as well.

I travel a lot throughout the US and Canada. So, the database has been a godsend for me. Wherever I happen to be, I just pull up the database and make my choice. This way I get to be a bit adventerous with a plan instead of just winging it or worse yet, just settling for the easily recognizable national chain restaruants.

Most of the restaruants that I’ve visited have been really good, as you would expect. I would say that probably 100% of them were places that I never would have found on my own and probably 70% were places that I would have passed on without a DDD recommendation just based on outside looks or location. I’m having a lot of fun with it as you can probably tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment