Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Fly Trap - Ferndale, MI

The Fly Trap was kind on an unusual place.  The outside is painted a bright yellow-green color.  You could imagine yourself a fly walking into a venus flytrap plant.  When you first walk in you notice the reggae music turned up kind of high.  There are  people eating strange piles of grass in these huge bowls that could be mixing bowls except for the fact that they are a little too delicate.

I found it to be part normal American diner and part vegan restaurant.  It seemed to me that a diner would be the last place a vegen would want to eat.  But, they had a lot of Thai dishes made with tofu that the non-meat eaters like.  Not me though.

I got the red chili salmon burger and a salad with blue cheese dressing.  I started with the salad.  The salad was more like what you would find in an upscale restaurant.  It had several types of greens. I could not identify all of them.  The blue-cheese dressing was really nice.  It was obviously fresh made, not out of a bottle or can.   I'm not quite sure what kind of magic the cook used but it was at the same time like a normal blue-cheese dressing in that it was creamy and had the distinctive sharp blue-cheese taste yet, it was also somehow light. 

The salmon wasn't a slab of salmon but actually a salmon patty.  I didn't see that coming.  The salmon sandwich had a splotch of mayonnaise with some cucumber slices on it. The mayonnaise was their garlic lime aioli.  I tried it first just the way that it was set down in front of me.  It was nice but, a little on the bland side.  The cucumber add a light crunchy taste to the fish.  I really didn't pick out the aioli taste.

The waitress offered a jalapeno and a habanero carrot sauce.  I dabbed on some of the green habanero sauce which made a huge difference.  It just picked up the whole sandwich experience.  It added just a little pepper kick and somehow made the whole sandwich more exciting. 

The service was pretty good.  There was just one waitress working but, she seemed genuinely excited about the menu and eagerly asked how I liked everything as I got to it.

I would give the Fly Trap a 9 out of 10.  I would eat there again.  I'd like to try some of the Thai food next time.


The Fly Trap - Ferndale, MI
22950 Woodward Avenue
Ferndale, MI 48220
(248) 399-5150
http://www.theflytrapferndale.com

No comments:

Post a Comment