Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Val's Burgers - Hayward, CA

If London has the Clock Tower and Paris the Eiffel Tower then Hayward, California has Val's Burgers. The famous Papa Burger is a giant tower of meat that dwarfs ordinary hamburgers and is the first thing that makes Val's awesome.

 Warning: A papa burger is not for the faint of heart. It is a full pound of ground beef. As you are eating, the juicy goodness is dripping down your hand and wrist. Leave your wristwatch in your pocket. It is not just huge buy tasty.  You know in your head that this is four times as much beef as any human needs but, it is so good that you can't stop until you are left with nothing but licking your fingers.  You can order up your burger however you want.  Every burger is a special order.

Val's is an icon in my family. When my own need for meat rises then I unroll a mat, face west towards California and chant in a low rumble "mmmmeat...."

Val's is not a triple-D restaurant, but it is probably one of the most quintessential diner/dives that I have ever been to. It has everything going for it. It has a lot of character, the food is great and it is just a fun experience.

Val's is a family tradition.  My brother-in-law introduced me to Val's many years ago. Im quite certain that if I had failed the Val's initiation that he would have called for my marriage to his sister to be annulled on the spot.
As if the burger was not enough, the shakes are really exceptional as well. They are old time hand dipped and spun shakes, the real deal.  They show up with the big glass and the metal cup that it was spun in also, just like the good old days.

Your credit card is no good here.  Val's is still cash only.  Be prepared to wait in line to get in.  Your patience will be rewarded.

The service is always friendly but, in the rough around the edges diner kind of way.

Val's holds a special place in my heart.  I give Val's a 10 on both solid Triple-D appeal and on just being a special place for me personally.

Val's Burgers
2115 Kelly Street
Hayward, CA 94541
(510) 889-8257



No comments:

Post a Comment