Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Diamond Bear Brewery - North Little Rock, AR

I didn't set out to review Diamond Bear Brewing, but I enjoyed it so much that I felt the need to share.  It's not just a brewery bar.  The bar has some really good food to go with their really good beer.  As it turned out, I had a whole afternoon to get to know this place.

The first beer that I tried was the Presidential IPA. Nicely balanced malt taste. Sharply bitter. Not noticeably aromatic. Paired well with the tomato basil soup.  You can read my untappd beer review here.

The restaurant atmosphere was really friendly.  I ended up chatting a long time with the waiter and the cook who were really nice guys.  The restaurant was not a dive but, it was in a dive neighborhood.

The service was really good.  The bartender/waiter was really eager to get samples to me and was very attentive. He hustled like he really cared.

I tried just a sample glass of their southern blonde. I found it to be very citrusy and pleasing but, not quite what I was looking for.  The name implies that this was a blond ale but, it was actually a pilsner.

My next beer was the Dogtown Brown Ale.  I'm sure that there is a story behind the name but, I have no idea what it is.  The thick round maltiness seems to be their style.You can read my beer review here.

I ordered the Fresno Club sandwich. It was surprisingly good.  It had good quality bread, was perfectly toasted and they obviously used other high quality ingredients.  I really didn't expect that in this semi-rough neighborhood.  It was a pleasant surprise.  The potato salad was likewise a pleasant surprise.  It was the vinegary German style; really good.

The brewery was in full operation while I was there.  The brewery workers were having lunch at the bar while I was there then went back inside after a while.  There are big picture windows from the restaurant that look into brewery.  Some of the fermenting vessels had nameplates on them. I read Laverne, Shirley and Larry.  I know that Laverne and Shirley were fictional brewery workers.  I'm not sure what the story with Larry was.

 Strawberry Blonde Nice grapefruit like citrusy bite. Malty ale taste and thick mouthfeel. I don't really taste strawberry but I liked it.

Diamond Bear Brewing Company
600 N Broadway St
North Little Rock, AR 72114
http://www.diamondbear.com/over21.html

















No comments:

Post a Comment