Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chef Point Café - Fort Worth (Watauga) Texas

Chef Point was my first Triple-D restaurant and is the standard by which I hold up all of the other restaurants that I visit.

Chef Point is no secret.  Guy Fieri has visited there and so has Paula Dean.  The wait to be seated can be well over an hour even at odd times of the day during the week.  If you come on the weekends then plan to wait a long time.  Just know that you won’t regret it.

Chef Point is not too far from my home.  So, I have the ability to get back there often, and I do.  It probably is my favorite restaurant anywhere.

Chef Point Café is located litteraly in a gas station.  Evidently, when they were starting out the owner couldn’t get a bank loan to start a restaruant but, he could get one to start a gas station.  So, they opened a gas station with a little restaurant area.  They could proabably easily aford to move into more upscale digs now but, that would ruin a big part of their charm.  They might be located in a gas station but, the menu is full-priced.

My favorite dish is probbly the Cioppino Soup.  This is an Italian fish soup.   It is a seafood soup with lots of mussels, scallops, bits of salmon, clams, calamari, shrimp and vegi’s cooked in a broth.  The last time that I was there, they served me an entire lobster tail on top.  It is absolutely incredible!  You get to enjoy it more than once because the servings are ridiculously large.  Only the most robust people can actually clean their plates.  Most of us will leave armed with shopping bags of take-home leftovers. 

On Sundays they serve their comfort food.  I've had the meatloaf each time.  The first time that I went there on a Sunday the hostess recomended it.  It was so good that I won't try anything else.

Save room for desert though.  The bread pudding is also incredible.  They featured it on Diners, Drive-Inns and Dives.  It is the hot cognac sauce that really makes this wonderful.  You can get just one and four forks if you want.  It’s that big and very filling.

5901 Watauga Rd.
Watauga, TX  76148
(817) 656-0080

No comments:

Post a Comment