Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Baby Blues B B Q - Venice, CA

The atmosphere at Baby Blues BBQ is kind of hippie cowboy. There are steer horns on the wall, lots of squirter bottles of pepper-sauce everywhere, guitars and pictures of Bob Marley on the wall.

It is my kind of place but, it is a dive for sure.  I could see how the LA Board of Health might have a field day in here. There were hot peppers floating around in old whiskey bottles.  I didn't quite understand that.  I don't know if they put those away when the health inspectors come by or what.

The barbecue food was really good, even by the Texas standards that I'm used to.  They have a whole smorgasbord of barbecue sauces on each table which were fun to experiment with.  I feared the really hot varieties but the milder ones were pretty good.

They advertise themselves as Memphis-style BBQ.  I had the "The Cherokee Spike" which was pulled pork, brisket and a hot link.  It came with a slab of cornbread.  This was a meat eater's delight.  We also ordered a Blues Cob.  The blues cob was roasted corn on the cob with some kind of spices and parmesian cheese on top. I don't think that there was any butter on the corn. The cheese took the place of the butter. The sharpness of the parmesan was a nice contrast withe the sweet corn.  The star of the show was easily the Blues Cob.

They are not light on the portions. This is not the skinny side of LA.
I'd give baby blues a 9 out of 10 on the triple d scale of divey delight.

Baby Blues BBQ
444 Lincoln Blvd.
Venice California 90291
310-396-7675
www.babybluesvenice.com



No comments:

Post a Comment