Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Grandpa's - Dania Beach, FL

I had just stepped off of a flight hungry and with a little time to kill.  Grampa's was close enough to the Ft. Lauderdale airport to make this breakfast visit possible.  My stomach was growling as I rolled into Dania Beach.

Inside and out there were pictures of Guy Fiere and the Diners, Drive-Inns and Dives logo.  This is usually a bad sign.  When you first walk in you are in the bakery section.  It is obvious to me that this is an Italian bakery.  They even had black and whites which you really only find in New York.  It all looked really good.

The diner menu looked like any diner menu: nothing really special.  I wasn't really sure what set this place apart until the complimentary pastries arrived at my table.  They were bite sized cherry, peach, and I think lemon filled pastries that come out as an appetizer.  They were a meal unto themselves.  Restraint was definitely in order.  Though I could see how some people might just come in to order just coffee and make a meal out of the free pastries.  But, that's not what I did. 

The waiter was very fast and friendly and sold me on the special.  The Eggs Benedict were the special this morning.  I didn't pause to think about it too hard.  I just rolled with it.   As it turned out, the eggs Benedict were okay.   Maybe they were the best I've ever had and maybe they weren't. Who knows?  The hash browns were like any that you might get at any Waffle House.  It was at that point that I realized that the pastries were the star of the show here and were what made this place kind of unique.

The atmosphere was typical diner.  Again, nothing really out of the ordinary.  I would give Grandpa's an 8.0 on the triple-d scale.

Grampa's Bakery & Restaurant
17 SW 1st St
Dania, FL 33004
(954) 923-2163
www.grampasbakery.com/



1 comment:

  1. How is it you think if triple D has been there its a bad thing? What are your credentials

    ReplyDelete