Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Tamale Place - Indianapolis

I wasn't expecting much from a Tamale restaurant in Indiana which probably made the experience all the better.  The tamales were probably the best I've ever had.

When you walk in they have their menu on a dry-board.  It looks like the prices next to the menu items but they are not.  Those are the number of each item that they have left.  I ordered the chicken tamales in green sauce.  I thought that it was going to be $11 but right after I ordered she erased the 11 and wrote down 10.  I tried ordering  two things before she decoded the board for me and told me to pick something with a number next to it.

The tamales were fairly large, in the corn husks as you would expect tied off nicely with corn husks.  The flavor and texture were really nice and surprisingly authentic compared to what I get in Texas, if that is any kind of accurate measure.  You get your choice of beans or rice and hot or mild sauce with the combo.  I went with the black beans and mild (wimp) sauce.  The beans and sauce came in little take-out tubs.  The tamale comes with nachos in a styrofoam container.  You won't leave hungry.

The service was okay.  You don't spend a lot of time dealing with the people who work there.  You order then get the heck out of the way so that they can serve the next person.

The atmosphere was also okay.  It was not a diner, not a dive and not a drive-in.  It was an unremarkable restaurant in a nondescript strip mall with white walls and tables.

I would rate The Tamale Place 8.8 just for the quality of the food.

The Tamale Place
5226 Rockville Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46224
(317) 248-9771
http://www.thetamaleplace.com/








No comments:

Post a Comment